I was 20 years old when I first got saved. Living on my own in Palm Springs, CA. Before giving my life over to Jesus, I had lived a very fast life. I had tried most everything out there to make me happy and give me purpose. Yet, before Christ, I was very empty on the inside.
I remember my first year as a Christian. I would set the alarm for like 5am, make a big pot of coffee and just read Gods Word for hours. I devoured it. I remember sitting by the swimming pool in the summer and having my Bible with me, just reading and soaking up God’s Word. See, there was change- big change, happening in my life. And much of that change was because of God’s Word. “The word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” (Hebrews 4:12.)
See, after I gave my life to Jesus, my mind needed lots of renewing! “And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.” (Romans 12:2)
Okay, so fast forward. Fifteen years have passed- Bible college in Texas, got married and 3 kids and 1 dog later. I find myself going back to the basics. I find myself hungry for more of Jesus. I want more- more intimacy, more of His presence. To know Him even more. And the cool thing is, is that He desires to meet with us even more than our desire to meet with Him.
What’s a great way to grow in our walk with Him:
1. Read His Word
2. Start to memorize and meditate on scriptures that apply to your life and jump out at you
3. Pray scriptures over yourself and loved ones
Some simple things I have done to help:
- I bought the cutest little journal from Micheals and I found it in the $1.00 bin! I call it my ‘scripture only’ journal and write my favorite scriptures and one’s I’m wanting to memorize. I keep it in my purse and even if I’m just sitting while I’m waiting to pick the kids up from school, I can easily flip it open to meditate over a scripture. I try and add to it daily.
- 1 Year Bible. Some people don’t know where to start, or what book in the Bible tot read next. Or they just totally skip the Old Testament and read the New Testament only. I love the 1 year Bibles because I get in my Old Testament and New Testament and Proverbs and Psalms! And most of these Bibles go by date, so it helps you stay on track .
- Before I read I will say a prayer and ask the Lord to open my eyes and give me revelation and speak to me through His Word.
A renewed mind, you can know God more intimately, power that comes from knowing His Word, and a changed life! Pretty good results, huh?! And if that’s not enough, sometimes the Lord will give me a scripture for someone else. And often times I will get a Word that I really needed to hear that ministers to me right where I’m at.
Matthew 24:35 (NIV) Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
Colossians 3:16 (NIV) Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.
Psalm 119:11 (NIV)
11 I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you.
Deuteronomy 11:18a (NIV) Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds
Gods Word is powerful and life changing!
Enjoy the journey!